On Thursday, November 23rd, I was recorded to be on RT Boom/Bust. The first half of it played that day, and the video of it is below:
We covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Here are the topics, with articles of mine that flesh out my thoughts in more detail (if any):
- The falling price of crude oil.
- Whether it is a great time to be in stocks (I give a mixed answer), see comment near bottom of this article on actual versus implied volatility.
- On the Permanent Portfolio concept (also here)
- On Buffett’s stock holdings not doing so well, versus those of some hedge funds and value managers (On how Buffett has changed over the years — also here)
- On the use of free cash flow for organic growth, dividends, and buybacks (also here [includes a mention of IBM] and here)
The second half of it played today on October 31st, and the video of it is below:
Here we talked about the following:
- The rally in Long Treasuries
- A few investment ideas (Russia, Brazil, LUKOIL, Ensco, Navient, and SABESP)
- Using dividend paying stocks as a bond substitute for income (also here)
I really appreciated being on the show. Hope you enjoy the videos. Thinking fast is a challenge, and you can often see me trying to gather my thoughts.
My thanks to Erin, the producer Ed Harrison, and their segment producer, Bianca.
Full disclosure: long LUKOY, ESV, NAVI and SBS for clients and me